Sunday, February 8, 2009

Update on Randy's "Trashed "Heart

You know that this is my therapy, thank you for letting me tell you our continuing story.
Randy's angiogram went well, and the needed information was gathered. As soon as Randy's surgery can be scheduled he will have a devise that is a combination of a pacemaker and defibrillator implanted in his chest with wires hooked up to his heart.(The devise alone retails at $40,000 )
The words of his very amazing heart surgeon were. "Man, you know your heart is just trashed, right?"
I did find out today that this surgery is the only option other than a transplant. And the odds are right around 50% that this will work and make Randy's heart stronger. A normal heart pumps 6 oz. with every beat, Randys heart is pumping less then 1 oz., and if you have seen my handsome husband you know that he probably could use more then the average person.
As we talked more with Dr. Chan, the wonderful, it became more and more clear what a miricle it is that Randy is alive right now.He is safely being watched and monitored and poked and prodded on a very regular basis and I have less worry as I think about how risky it was for him to be at home as long as he was.
We were informed that it could take longer than a week to book the surgery, I asked if he would stay in the hospital the whole time. He actually started to laugh at that a little, and said, " Oh, yes he has to stay here where we can watch him, his risk of death is just too high for him at home."
So far this has been my hardest day to handle, filled with ups and downs as its become painfully clear how lucky I am to have my favorite man alive still. Thank you for following these crazy days and events with me, and even more thank yous for your words of kindness, and prayers and meals and offers of help and love. I am overcome.
Tiffany

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Tiffany, It's Kristina Tietjen. I wanted you to know that we have been contacted and updated as to Randys condition. We just moved last week & life is insane,but Devin is going to try & stop by in the next couple of days and see him. You are in our prayers and I will be calling to see if there is something I can do for you! We love you!!

MelissaEaves said...

Hello Randy, Tiffany and family. Kristina just told us about Randy and told me to check out your blog for more information. We were just looking at pictures last night of Dwight, Randy and Brady at a scout outing. I was telling Brady how much I enjoyed growing up with all those great guys. I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this problem. Please know that we are thinking of you and praying for you both. We will keep up on your progress through your blog. I loved hearing your kind words about Randy. What a great wife. Brady and Melissa Eaves